Saturday I took a walk at Vischer Ferry Nature Preserve. I almost wanted to stay in, to wrap myself in my nice cozy bed and not move. It was 6 degrees out. But there was a clear blue sky. Blue and forever. The blue that shakes me to my core and won't let me stay indoors. A blue that beckons and insists.
So I got dressed in my warmest clothes and went out to meet the blue. Actually, the weather had warmed to a balmy 24. The ice on the canal glistened and danced in the sunshine. So many different patterns and textures. So many different shades of clear and white and gray. The ice spoke - creaking and moaning. I wondered what the muskrats were doing under the ice. It looked like they had many holes for air, but these had been sealed up in the frigid temperatures. How did they get out of their cattail homes? I missed the birds. It must be too cold for them to waste calories. As I neared the bridge that would take me to the car I saw a flash of another blue - a bluebird. Then another. They were beckoned by the sky and the sun and the time to start a family. They had ventured out without fleece and wool and thick-soled boots.

Do you let winter hold you captive?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Bird Count