Saturday I did a hike at Grafton State Park. There was no snow to ski but there was ice! I enjoyed putting on my microspikes and walking the length of Long Pond and Shaver Pond. There is something very reassuring about seeing the ice fishermen out there. I know that the ice is safe at five inches and seven inches respectfully. A couple of guys were pulling perch from the frozen water; one guy just missed a trout. I thought about the fish - swimming in happy oblivion and then - zap. They don't get a respite from being "hunted".
I was happy to get my winter fix. The trees were sprinkled with snow. There was a monochromatic look to the day: gray skies, whitish pond, and trees. The gray didn't seem oppressive. It just intensified the mystic of winter. Somehow winter settles my heart and mind, calls me to calm and reflection fills my soul with quiet.
This year I am mourning not having more of winter - but it is only the beginning of February. I know that I am a minority. Most folks hate winter. I understand; there's the shoveling, slipping, shivering... but ah there is also peace and beauty.
What is your favorite winter adventure?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog