Winter sun. With the coming of winter - at least because we enjoyed the solstice, not because of snow or temperatures - I have been noticing where the sun is rising and setting. Especially while visiting my family in south Jersey I saw that the sun sets in a very different spot than it does in the summer. At home, on the farm, without the city buildings, nature has a way of speaking so plainly, so freely. The rising and setting of the sun and the moon are wonderful daily events that I look forward to. Last week the moon was a crescent; Venus was so brilliant and the star Sirius shone very brightly and did Orion proud! The winter sky is full of mystery and splendor. The crisp nights seem to make the heavens sharper! My nephew and I enjoyed a bonfire and watched the stars in their constellations regale the heavens.
But, back to the winter sun. My sister and I took a walk at Sunset Beach in Cape May last week. The sun was warm and danced on the water near the "concrete ship". It shone a bright, cool light that seemed so different from the summer sun. In every season the lights of our cosmos are such gifts.
What are your favorite stars, planets, sun and moon times?
Photo by Liz mazuk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog