Waiting for the right moment...

I was out skiing the other day. The weather was pleasant. The golf course was mine. A hawk flew from a stand of trees, calling as he went. His wonderful hawk call resounded over the course. Then I heard another hawk in the same stand of trees. Persistent, like she was unwilling to let go of her friend. But on close examination of the voice in the trees, I realized that it came from a blue jay imposter! I had read that jays will imitate hawks, but I never experienced it myself. So there was the jay, as bold as anyone calling hawk-like and hiding in the low branches of the pines. The more she called the stranger the imitation, but she was unvexed. I had a good chuckle! It was worth the wait!

A hawk bursts
      from an Aspen:
climbs,
           dips,
                        dives,
                                 glides.
free on the thermals
free…
How I dream,
yearn
for that liberty-
to be free from the tyrant: self,
free from the demigod: ego;
free on the thermals
of
being,
free…


Five Rivers 1/20/01

Comments

Popular posts from this blog