I have a connection with hawks and birds of prey. It really goes back to 2006 after my brother Tom died. Tom spent his life in a wheelchair because of a birth defect. He never let that stop him. I remember well his drive to get a job, to go to college, to engage in sports, to have a social life. A few weeks after Tom died I went hiking and climbed Allender Mt. I was bereft and feeling so down. As I sat on the top of the mountain a falcon whizzed by me and hovered out about 30 feet in front of me. I was startled to say the least! Then I laughed. I felt that Tom was visiting me telling me that he was free and enjoying his new freedom! Ever since then, I have had some very interesting experiences with eagles, hawks, and falcons. Each time I feel my brother's presence, his humor, and his care.
A couple of weeks ago I was taking a walk and talking to a friend. I looked up to see a red-tail hawk perched on the top of a pine tree. He was large and the top could barely support him. All at once, he swooped down and pounced on something that I saw was a mouse. The hawk made short work of the unfortunate creature that must have been like an appetizer for the bird. I thought about the cycle of life and how the prey is life for the predator.  Hard lesson. Hawks have taught me so many lessons as has my dear brother.

Comments

  1. Great memory Lin. I remember the first time the eagles where in our field. We always thought Tom was soaring with the eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I hope you come back to Concordia sometime, and meet Sr. Gilla Dube, who is transferring to our Community from the Sisters of St. Joseph of Lyon, Maine.... I can tell you two would have a lot in common, and almost certainly would become friends. She has a deep connection with the earth, especially with hawks and other large birds. (this is Carol, BTW).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog