It has been too long since I posted. The weeks passed and surprised me - it has been well over a month!
 Winter has waned and then returned with a vengeance. Icy trails and mud replaced a snowy path for skiing. At Grafton a few weeks ago the trails were a mix of dirt and ice. Microspikes are a blessing! As I made my way around Long Pond, the pond spoke in cracks and groans. At times it sounded like the rumblings of an empty stomach. I imagined a water- being under the ice, groaning for the coming of spring, moaning to be released from the prison of ice.
 The ice on Shaver Pond was still 8 inches deep. I walked the length of the pond and talked to the ice fishermen who were squeaking out one last day before the ice would be unsafe. A perch and pickerel had been the catch of the day. Even though I like eating fish, I always feel bad for them as they are jerked out of their homes into a world where they can't breathe. The sufferings of other species often go unnoticed as we humans enjoy the hunt and the eating. I love the Native way of thanking the spirit of the dead creature for giving its life for the life of another.
No matter what the weather, creation has so many lessons, so many intriguing secrets to share! We need to get out there and listen and be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog