My favorite spot, besides our park, is definitely Vischer Ferry Preserve. I went there on Saturday morning- I thought it was early- 9:30 but a lot of folks were there and the parking lot was full. I love seeing the families out walking. Really, the kids lead the parents in noticing things and being enthralled with rocks on the path and birds flying by. I met this little guy named David. He is about two with a huge smile and absolute enthusiasm for "nature". His parents said that he woke up all excited to go into nature that day. David looked all around and noticed my binoculars. His parents decided he should have a pair so he could see the birds better. They moved on, assuring David that next time we might be able to "bump fists". They were eager to see the painted turtles that I told them about.
I think one of the best gifts parents and relatives and friends can give a child is an outlet for this biophilia that is naturally theirs. They need time and space and a mud puddle. They shouldn't be hurried in looking under rocks, picking dandelions (like each one is unique- because it is), and loving worms. Now we have time. We don't need to run to the mall. We can walk and be.
So I continued my walk and being. I saw the wood duck, a blue-winged teal, lots of Canada geese, a "kettle" of six herons flying around, and some fishing. I hope my inner nature-loving kid is always there - even when I don't remember the names of trees and plants and birds. The love and magnetism are built right in!
How is your biophilia doing?

Blue-winged teals compliments of the Audubon Society
Blue-winged Teal | Audubon Field Guide

Comments

  1. My daughter and grandson had a wonderful experience on Saturday, too. Allison took Jariyah up to Lake Nancy or "camp" as we like to call it. The lake is down right now, so there was plenty of shoreline to walk. One of their activities was trying to skip rocks. Jariyah was able to wade in the water and catch salamanders. Of course, they were released. My daughter said she hadn't seen them up there since she was a young girl. We also have fresh water mussels in our lake, so my grandson was able to pick up an empty shell to examine it. They had a great time enjoying what nature had to offer them that day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog