I am usually consistent about doing things - especially things I enjoy. So, I ask myself, why don't you consistently do your blog? I haven't done a post since March!
Sometimes, I think I just want to give up all environmental work. The news is bad and getting worse. I find all the destruction really depressing. But that is a poor attitude since one of the purposes of this blog was to share encounters with Earth and invite others to do so too!
So this is my attempt to get back on track.
The last Sunday in September I took a delightful hike to the Strawberry Fields Preserve outside of Amsterdam. The preserve is managed by the Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy www.mohakhudson.org
It was a blue sky day with mare's tail clouds high in the sky. The trail was well mowed and effortless. The trees were an amazing diversity of oaks, hickories, cherry, maple, and hophornbeam. Purple astors and lavender fleabane dotted the field. But the reason for my pilgrimage there was the fringed gentian, an exquisite wildflower that blooms from August to November. I had never encountered this variety of gentian.
I was beginning to give up hope of finding it when my eyes fell upon a flower, then two, then dozens! I was ecstatic! I fell on my knees and wiped out my magnifying lens for the full effect of purple fringe and a gentle white center in the deep inners. Good news! This parcel of land had given this delightful flower asylum from the ravages of development.
Looking for good news in small, powerful places helps me to celebrate the beauty of creation that is still alive and well!

Comments

  1. Post or no post, you’ve always been my inspiration. I say to myself “What would Sister Linda do?” You’ve made me environmentally wise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog