Yesterday I hiked with the Adirondack Mountain Club at Moreau State Park. The week had been so warm and so much of the lovely snow had succumbed to rain and 50-degree temperatures. But Friday temps put us back into the ice age, so there was ice everywhere! Thank God for microspikes!
This seems to be the new normal - swings in temperature.
 For me, it is so hard not to have winter - yes, winter - for a few blessed months. The quiet, the snow sculpting landscapes, the ice creating filagree along streams, the deep peace. Yes, winter is my season. My heart feels at home in the white beauty and solitude. Winter is a mystic devoted to entering deeply the mysteries hidden in snow and ice.
So my winter heart must make peace with a climate that will not sustain cold and snow. I try to think about people who are suffering from climate change now - drought, crop failure, food and water shortages. I still can get what I need in terms of physical necessities. But how will my winter soul find solace?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog